St. Mary's Academy

98 Washington Street



From: Essex County, NJ, Illustrated 1897

St. Mary's Academy was at first known as the "Ward's Estate," and was purchased in 1859 by Rt. Rev. J. R. Bayley, first bishop of Newark. It was occupied by the Sisters of Charity as their Mother House until they removed to Madison, NJ in 1861. After this building was used as St. Mary's Orphan Asylum till 1865, when the Orphanage at South Orange was ready for the orphans.

In the fall of 1865 St. Mary's Academy was opened. Part of the building was at this time a hospital, St. Michael's Hospital was not in existence then. In 1874 the old "Ward Mansion" was razed and the present beautiful building was erected in its stead. St. Mary's Academy has ever stood among the first in the city, regarding numbers and success of its pupils. An excellent view of the academy building is illustrated on this page.