From Reports of the City Officers for the year 1873:
The school house situated in this Ward (Third Ward) between Court and Hill Streets, was erected in 1843-4. It was the smallest of the seven original Grammar School buildings. The lot is 50 feet on Court Street and about 175 feet deep, extending from Court to Hill Street, and cost $3,000.
The school was held in this building until 1868, nearly 25 years, when it was transferred to the new building on Washington Street, near W. Kinney. This lot is about 110 feet on Washington Street, extending back 100 feet then forming an L on Kinney Street of 25 feet, and further extension of the main lot, making a depth of 181 feet, and was purchased for $9,250. The contractors for building the house were Mr. Albert H. Clark, mason and Messrs. Forshea & Spear, carpenters. The cost of the building and furniture, fencing, etc., was, exclusive of the lot, $44,648.34. There are accommodations for 800 children.
From: Essex County, NJ, Illustrated 1897
|Copyright 1998 - 2019 Glenn G. Geisheimer|