Twelfth Ward German & English School


Corner of Niagara & Elizabeth Street

Additional Photos


Newspaper Articles

June 23, 1901 - The Twelfth Ward German-English School
August 25, 1907 - Thirty-Eight Years in German-English School
February 14, 1909 - German Schools Doing Good Work


From: Essex County, NJ, Illustrated 1897

The Twelfth Ward German & English School was founded December, 1858. The building is a two story brick structure, 70 x 30 feet situated on a plot of ground 100 x 90 feet and is valued at $12,000. It contains three classrooms and a kindergarten and prepares the children for entrance to the High School. The present number of pupils is two hundred and the chares are 80 cents per month for each child in the kindergarten and one dollar per child for those in the higher classes.

Where three children of one family attend school at the same time, the third is admitted free. The Men's Society connected with the school, is coposed of 370 members who are all well known and enterprising citizens. The equarterly dues are seventy-five cents. The Ladie's Association has a membership of 130. Their dues are 15 cents per month. The school is in flourishing condition and free of debt.