Lyons Farm Schoolhouse/
Open Air Schoolroom

Elizabeth & Chancellor Avenues




The original school was built in 1728 and burned down in 1782.  The structure pictured was built in 1784. It is known as Newark's first school (although it was actually in Clinton Township).

In 1925 the front of the school was added onto with an open air annex for classes for tubercular children.  This open air classroom was closed in 1930 when an up to date school for tubercular children was completed on Boylan Avenue.

Today, the schoolhouse is inthe Newark Museum.