From Reports of the City Officers for the year 1873:
The first Public School house for this Ward (Fifth Ward), was erected in 1848-9, on the corner of Lafayette and Prospect Streets, with 110 feet on Lafayette Street, 125 feet deep, and cost $4,500.
This building was originally the same style and size as the other old houses. In 1870 an additional story was put on the building, at a cost of about $7,500, making three new class rooms. No other changes for Grammar School accommodations in this Ward since 1848.
From "Newark Sunday Call" January 28, 1912:
This building was provided with 15 class rooms and an auditorium to seat 500. It is anticipated that the building will be double this size at some later time when the old building is razed.
|Copyright 1998 - 2018 Glenn G. Geisheimer|