Eighteenth Avenue School

229 18th Avenue 07108
(973) 733-6824

Additional Photos

Official Web Site

From: Essex County, NJ, Illustrated 1897

The first building was erected in 1871 and consisted of eight classrooms. In 1873 it became necessary to enlarge it, by the addition of a building in the form of a large T, which, surmounted by two turrets, added to the architectural beauty of the present structure. This made a school of nineteen classrooms, none too large to meet the demands of the rapidly increasing poplulat6ion of the old Thirteenth Ward. The pupils and patrons of its early days purchased a large bell, which is hung in a belfry and its tones call the children from far and near to each session of the school. This has been of the greatest advantage in reducing to almost a minimum the number of cases of tardiness.