Commerce Street School

122-124 Commerce Street east of Lawrence Street



From Reports of the City Officers for the year 1873:

The Public Grammar School house in Commerce Street was erected in 1846-7. It is one of the old class of buildings, like the one described in the Fire Ward. The lot upon which the building is located, is 60 feet on Commerce Street with a depth of 150 feet, forming an L on the rear, on which stands a Primary School building. The lot cost $4,000

The Grammar School was held in this building till Sept. 1873, when it was transferred to the new house on Lawrence Street.