College of New Jersey

First Presbyterian Church




The College of New Jersey was made successful mainly through the personal efforts and ability of the Rev. Aaron Burr, who conducted a classical school before the eighteenth century had half expired, and the renowned college was opened in the First Presbyterian Church on Broad Street, November 9, 1747. The Rev. Mr. Burr was its first president and it remained in continuous school session in this city until 1755 when it was removed to Princeton, N. J. and 150 years later was renamed Princeton University.